i'm on the bandwagon

rachel becomes technologically literate.... well, i guess we'll see how this turns out before making any gradiose statements like that....

Friday, July 08, 2005

One of the Select Few.... Yah, Sure....

So, I get a phone call this evening.... the woman on the phone sounds quite excited.... she launches into a speech about how I am one of the select few people chosen for this promotion....

Wait, I'll back the boat up for a minute, so this makes sense.

If you scroll down my blog, you'll notice that I attended the Red River Exhibition (a large carnival-type thing -- rides, games, kiosks, prize draws, etc. -- for those of you who are unfamiliar) a week or two ago. Anyways, at the Ex, I was in a "winning mood".... I paid 5 bucks for 4 tickets to put in for a draw for my choice of one of 4 vehicles, or $35,000 cash. And, boy, did I hope I'd win that! I spent the night internally debating whether I'd choose the car or the cash. (I eventually decided upon the cash, as the car would devalue to less than $35,000 as soon as I drove it off the lot.... smart girl, I am!) Anyways, while debating what I would do with my winnings, in passing, I entered another draw (this one was free to enter.... that probably should've tipped me off, right there). This one was some vacation package. It was getting late and I was getting tired thinking about all of the splendid plans I'd have with my soon-to-be $35,000. So, I filled in only the necessities (name, age, phone number) and very momentarily skimmed over the "fine print" on the form. And by "skimmed", I mean that I saw that there were letters (presumably forming words) typed on the page.... but that's about as far as I got....

Back to the present....

So, the phone rings and this lady starts going off on how I am so lucky to be one of the very few people who "fit the demographic" and am eligible to receive this "incredible" vacation package. Then she tells me to get a pen and paper to write down some details of the trip. So, I grab my pen and a small scrap of paper, expecting to write down a name, place, phone number, and other such vital pieces of information. Well, lo and behold.... the lady launches into this obviously scripted speech touting the wonders of this vacation (cruise, Ft. Lauderdale, Bahamas, Daytona Beach, etc.,etc.). As my mind is reeling and my hand hurts from trying to scribble down information, one "insignificant" piece of information that she breezes by jumps out at me.... "of course, contest winners will be expected to take care of a few small costs...."

Whoa, slow down lady....

Those insignificant costs turned out to be $399 US (which is, like, $150,000 worth of my humble CDN money) per person to start, along with additional fees if I want to go on the cruise (hey, I thought that was the whole point of the trip!), and any airport fees that may be applied, and blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc.... and $798 US of all that had to be paid by credit card over the phone right then and there.... yah, good luck lady.

Man alive, can't a free trip ever really just be a FREE trip?!

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

haha.... not so.... they were probably going to offer a bottomless glass of iced tea, or something equally exceptional....

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger immixmarketer said...

hey rachel:
a spit take is when you are drinking water, and something funny happens, and you spit out the water due to laughter....
hope to hear from you soon!

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Awesome Jim said...

Wow. You've got a lot to learn about free raffles. They sell your info to telemarketing firms. Next time you're entering a free raffle, ask to see a copy of their privacy policy. And don't ever apply for a mortgage. You're just begging fot it then.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the tip, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home